Stacey C. Friends
ShareholderPrint to PDF
Stacey Friends is a shareholder of the firm. Her practice is focused on trademark and copyright law, licensing and other commercial transactions, arts and entertainment.
Stacey handles all aspects of brand selection, as well as trademark clearance, registration, and enforcement, both nationally and internationally for large and small companies. She has represented clients before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board (TTAB), in opposition, cancellation and appeal proceedings.
Stacey also advises clients on various copyright, fair use, and licensing issues both in the corporate realm as well as for her much-loved songwriters, filmmakers, authors, visual artists, and other creative clients.
Before joining the firm, Stacey was an attorney at Peabody & Arnold LLP and was founder of Stacey Friends & Associates.
ASSOCIATIONS & ORGANIZATIONS
- International Trademark Association (INTA), member 2001-present; Emerging Issues Committee, 2014-2018; Unreal Campaign Committee, 2018-Present.
- European Community Trademark Association
- Copyright Society
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association - Co-Chair, Art, Entertainment & Sports Law Committee, 2013-2015, 2002 to 2004; IP Steering Committee, 2013-2015, member 2002 - 2006
- Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce
COMMUNITY & CHARITABLE INVOLVEMENT
- Board Member, Rockport Art Association and Museum, 2017-Present
- Mentor, Mass Challenge, 2016
- Advisor, PayPal Start Tank, 2013-2015
Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (VLA) - Panel attorney, 2001-Present
- Mentor, Suffolk Law School, Alumni Mentor Program
- Speaker, Boston Patent Law Association Law School Student Career Advice Forum, "Making Connections in Boston's IP Community"
HONORS & AWARDS
- Law and Politics Massachusetts Rising Star - 2011, 2010, 2005 - 2008
- Winner of ASCAP’s 2000 Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition for writing in the area of copyright law
Click here for complimentary summary of Trademark basics & benefits.
- New rules from copyright office require re-registration of DMCA agent
- RESTAURANTS and TRADEMARKS: A Lesson from the Real World
- EXPANDING YOUR BUSINESS – DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE BRAND! TRADEMARK CONSIDERATIONS
- THERE IS NO SHORT CUT! Generic or Merely Descriptive? CAFC Vacates Genericness Decision on “PRETZEL CRISPS”
- U.S. Copyright Law Update: New Exemptions to Prohibitions on Circumvention of Technological Security Measures
- Hotel Trademark Decision Provides Teachable Moments, At Your Service, Vol. VII, Issue I
- Trademark Scams and Misleading Solicitations, At Your Service, Vol. VI, Issue III
- Your Trademark: When to Register, At Your Service, Vol. VI, Issue IV
- Client Alert, Trademark Scams and Misleading Solicitations,
- Choosing A Trademark, At Your Service, Vol. V, Issue IV
- Stacey Friends interviewed on NECN , February 2010
- Social Media & Other Interactive Marketing, At Your Service, Volume IV, Issue IV
- Stacey Friends quoted in Mass High Tech April 2009
- Stacey Friends quoted in Washington Post August 2008
- New Trademark Dilution Rules Working as Intended April 2008
- Protect Your Software Code Through Proper Copyrights
- How Well Are You Positioned to Protect Your Copyrights?
- New Massachusetts Trademark Law
- Acquire, Advance, Protect Your Trademark
- The name game: Tips for choosing your trademark lawyer, Performer Magazine
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, CONFERENCES, SEMINARS, MOVIES, AND INTERVIEWS
- March 2018
Boston Global Immersion Mentor
- November 16, 2017
Hosted a round table at the Women in Law & Leadership Summit on Networking and Promoting Yourself
- October 24, 2017
Speaker at DECA Conference for INTA's Unreal Committee, Teaching Students about Conterfeits, Bentley College
- October 18, 2017
Making Connections in Boston's IP Community, BPLA, District Hall
- January 12, 2017
Stacey Friends was interviewed on Radio Entrepreneurs. Full interview
- June 13, 2017
Presented a Lunch and Learn on the Basics of Trademark and Branding, WeWork
Batman and Bill, Documentary, Hulu
- November 4, 2016
Stacey Friends spoke on a Global Branding Panel at the Business Globalization Forum
- May 2016
Stacey Friends participated on a panel the INTA Unreal Campaign with Michelle Brownlee from Bose, and spoke at the Executive Breakfast on Global Branding at the International Trademark Association's annual conference in Orlando
- February 8, 2016
Stacey Friends was interviewed on Radio Entrepreneurs. Full interview
- October 20, 2015
Stacey Friends spoke at and moderated an International Branding panel at The MSI International Conference
- April 16, 2015
Stacey Friends moderates the Boston Bar Association panel discussion "Licensing Intellectual Property in the Arts & Entertainment World"
- February 24, 2015
Stacey Friends was interviewed on Radio Entrepreneurs.
- February 12, 2015
Stacey Friends panelist for the Boston Business Journal event "Going Global: Build Your International Business Development"
- January 20, 2015
Stacey Friends presents on Copyright and Trademark Law for Massachusetts Bar Association's Intellectual Property Basics for the Non-Specialist
- January 8, 2015
Stacey Friends presents on Trademark Developments for Boston Bar Association Intellectual Property Year in Review
- October 21, 2014
Stacey Friends presents the Strafford webinar "Structuring Trademark Consent Agreements"
- October 9, 2014
Stacey Friends moderates Suffolk Law Panel "Arts, Entertainment, and the Law"
- August 8, 2014
Stacey Friends presents the Boston Bar Association Sports Law Roundtable Featuring Sports Illustrated's Michael McCann: The Donald Sterling Controversy
- June 25, 2014
Stacey Friends speaks on "The Business of Fine Art" panel for Art Technology New England event
- May 11, 2014
Stacey Friends moderates Table Topic "U.S. Office Actions: Strategies for Minimizing and Resolving Problems" at the International Trademark Association (INTA) 2014 Conference, Hong Kong
- January 23, 2014
Stacey Friends and Lisa Weinstein Burns present at the Boston Bar program "What Every Estate Planner Should Know About Copyright Law, the Right of Termination and Royalties"
- October 18, 2013
Stacey Friends presents in the Suffolk University Law School program "What is IP Anyway? IP Bootcamp"
- October 8, 2013
Stacey Friends presents at the Mass Bar Association "Intellectual Property Basics for the Non-Specialist"
- June 12, 2013
Stacey Friends presents at the MCLE 16th Annual New England Intellectual Property Law Conference 2013: Trademark Law Update (click here to review materials)
- May 5, 2013
Stacey Friends moderates Table Topic “Strategies for Avoiding and Resolving Problems” at the 2013 INTA Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas
- May 2, 2013
Stacey Friends moderates panel at the MITX Mobile marketing Summit: Precision Targeting - Innovations and Strategies
- October 9, 2012
Stacey Friends participates as faculty in the Massachusetts Bar Associations CLE Program: Intellectual Property Basics for the Non-Specialist
- June 13, 2012
Stacey Friends participates as faculty in the MCLEs 15th Annual New England Intellectual Property Law 2012 Conference on Trademark Law (click here to review materials)
- October 28, 2011
Stacey Friends participates as faculty of the Suffolk University Law School ALS/IP Concentration Symposium on IP Due Diligence
- September 16, 2011
Stacey Friends moderates panel on 4G at FutureM Conference
- June 16, 2011
Stacey Friends presents at MCLEs Annual IP Law Conference on Trademark Law (click here to review materials)
- May 25, 2011
Stacey Friends speaks on Trademark and Copyright Law at MBA IP Basics Seminar
- May 3, 2011
Stacey Friends leads panel on Social Media at Restaurant Trends Seminar, headed by Chef Jody Adams and featuring social media experts from HubSpot, Where, and Eat Boston.
- February 23, 2011
Stacey Friends presents on Copyright Basics for Screenwriters Seminar at Emerson College
- February 22, 2010
Stacey Friends presents lecture on Copyright Enforcement & Remedies for Copyright Course, Suffolk University Law School
- October 7, 2010
Stacey Friends leads panel on Best Practices in Internet Lead Generations at TEIs Entrepreneurship Institute
- October 4, 2010
Stacey Friends leads panel at FutureM on the Future of Branding
- May 6, 2010
Stacey Friends presents at the MBA IP Basics, Copyright and Trademark Law
Stacey loves doing anything with her two children. She is also an avid runner who especially likes the challenge of Ragnar Relays. She also enjoys traveling, singing, hiking, and SUP and kayaking in her hometown of Manchester-by-the-Sea.