Technology & Emerging BusinessPrint to PDF
Ruberto, Israel & Weiner’s Technology & Emerging Business Group is focused on the needs of regional, national, and international technology businesses and startup companies. We work with technology-based businesses such as software, internet, cloud services, digital media, semiconductors, medical devices and clean technology, as well as manufacturers, retailers, construction and real estate development firms, service providers, and the hospitality industry. We are a part of the strategic team at every stage, from formation through funding, growth and exit strategies. We understand the intersection of finance, intellectual property and technology and have deep sector-specific knowledge of our clients’ technologies, business practices, intellectual property assets, and transactions. Our midsize firm and entrepreneurial structure and approach enables us to provide skilled personalized attention from senior level, seasoned attorneys, as well as flexibility and a value-based fee structure.
Specific industry segments include:
- Business software
- Web and cloud services
- Mobile applications
- IT services
- Consumer software and content, including music services, products, and games
- Silicon products, including semiconductors, ASICs and MEMS
- Communications technology companies
- High tech materials
Through our affiliations across the globe, we partner with other law firms as needed for entity formation and structure, tax structuring, global distribution agreements, trademarks, partnerships, and other international matters.
What are your toughest technology and emerging business problems and needs? Yes, we can help. For more information, contact Technology & Emerging Business Group Chair John F. Cohan at (617) 742- 4200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Some firms operate as lawyers that are in business... RIW attorneys are more like entrepreneurs and business people who practice law.” – Jeffrey Davis, Chairman & Founder, Mage Management Consultant
We can help technology & emerging businesses in the following areas:
- Choice of entity and formation
- Founder and shareholder agreements
- Tax structures
- Leasing or acquiring real estate
EMPLOYEE AND TEAM BUILDING
- Equity compensation, stock options restricted stock
- Employee and contractor agreements
- Advisor agreements
- Employee Handbooks
- Friends and family rounds
- Convertible debt
- Seed capital, angel, venture and private equity financing
- Private placements
- Debt financing
- Web forms
- Distribution, strategic alliances, and joint venture deals
- IP and brand licenses
- Trademark and brand protection
- Copyright protection
- IT, software, web, and cloud licensing agreements
- Trade secret protection
EXIT TRANSACTIONS AND ACQUISITION DEALS
- Acquiring assets and stock
- Company sales to public and private companies
- Majority and minority recapitalizations (including with the use of mezzanine debt)
We also provide strategic advice and guidance on distribution and partnering, including:
- Distribution deals
- Branding strategies
- Technology and intellectual property strategies
TECHNOLOGY TRANSACTION EXPERIENCE
Our firm handles all kind of technology transactions, including:
- Licensing of software and digital services
- Customer, reseller, VAR, and OEM agreements
- Internet and mobile distribution and services deals
- Web site terms and policies
- Development agreements
- Technology assets and rights acquisitions
- University licenses and tech transfer agreements
- Standards organization agreements
- Outsourcing agreements
- Patent, copyright, and trademark licensing
- Open source licensing
- International distribution arrangements
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Multimedia, entertainment, and game deals
- Content acquisition and licensing
- Technology mergers and acquisitions
NOTABLE TECHNOLOGY M&A DEALS
- The sale of an open source vendor to Oracle.
- The sale of an employment software company.
- The purchase of a mobile music distribution company.
- The intellectual property aspects of a $350 million technology company division sale to a foreign buyer.
- The sale of Harmonix Music Systems to Viacom’s MTV Networks.
PARTICIPATION IN THE ENTREPRENEURIAL COMMUNITY
Our attorneys participate in many organizations that encourage entrepreneurship, including:
American Technion Society; The Entrepreneurship Institute; Mass Challenge; Mass Technology Leadership Council; Massachusetts Innovation Technology Exchange (MITX); Massachusetts Software Council; MIT Enterprise Forum; Northshore Technology Council.