Michael J. Barone, Jr., is an associate with the firm’s Commercial Real Estate Group. His practice covers the areas of real estate transactions, leasing, and zoning and land use. He has represented clients in the purchase, sale, leasing, and financing of properties across the country, including in Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Virginia, Texas, and Florida.
Mike regularly assists clients with preparing and presenting applications before municipal boards, including zoning boards, planning boards, and licensing boards. He has represented applicants before such boards throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, including Boston, and across Long Island, New York. Mike also guides clients through the process of IRC §1031 tax deferred exchanges, including the sale of relinquished properties, coordinating with qualified intermediaries, and identifying and purchasing replacement properties.
Mike is a graduate of the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester and a graduate, magna cum laude, of the Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center on Long Island. During his time at Touro, he served as Articles Editor of the Touro Law Review.
Prior to joining Ruberto, Israel & Weiner P.C., Mike was an associate with Sahn Ward Coschignano, PLLC, on Long Island.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Member, USA 500 Clubs
- Member (Executive Committee), New York State Bar Association Young Lawyers Section
- Member (Executive Committee), New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section
HONORS & AWARDS
- Recognized as a “2023 Ones to Watch Rising Star” by the New England Real Estate Journal.
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers in the “Real Estate” and “Land Use/Zoning” Categories: 2017 (NY), 2018 (NY), 2019 (NY), 2020 (MA), 2021 (MA), 2022 (MA)
- Represented collection of citizens in sale of 30+ acres to nonprofit conservation organization in West Newbury, Massachusetts.
- Represented property owner in sale of $5.5 Million commercial property in Boston’s North End.
- Represented property owner in sale of $4.35 Million multi-tenanted commercial property in Burlington, Massachusetts.
- Represented purchaser of $2.2 Million commercial property in Brockton, Massachusetts.
- Represented property owner in sale and lease-back of $2.125 Million commercial property in Billerica, Massachusetts.
- Represented property owner in sale of lodging home portfolio totaling $2.1 Million in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
- Represented applicant in obtaining zoning variances for installation of 150 kilo-watt solar facility in Plympton, Massachusetts.
- Represented applicant before Somerville and Medford Zoning Boards to obtain variances for a multi-family development with lot area in both municipalities.
- Represented applicant before Medford Zoning Board to obtain variances for a ground-up mixed-use development.
- Represented applicant before the Boston Board of Appeal to obtain a conditional use permit and related variances in order to convert a rooftop storage penthouse into habitable space.
- Assisted mental health provider with obtaining permitting approvals to open new clinics in Lowell and Quincy.
- Represented purchaser of multi-location franchise in negotiation of amendments/assumptions of leases and related financing.
- Represented tenant in negotiation of lease for bakery space in Beverly, Massachusetts.
- Represented tenant in negotiation of lease for office and soccer field space in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
- Represented borrower in refinance of $75 Million loan facility.
- Represented borrowers in refinance of $23 Million line of credit and mortgage loan facility.
- Represented lender in modification of existing $8.16 Million mortgage loan facility.
- Represented financial services company in multiple franchise lending facilities.
- Represented closely held corporation in IRC §1031 like-kind, tax deferred exchange involving the sale of a $15.525m commercial property in the Cobble Hill neighborhood of Brooklyn and the purchase of several replacement properties, including Delaware Statutory Trusts.
- Represented Purchaser in acquisition of $2,350,000 office building on Long Island with $1,200,000 of conventional and $950,000 Small Business Administration financing.
- Represented Purchaser in acquisition of $4,200,000 multi-tenanted commercial property on Long Island.
- Represented Temple in application to New York State Attorney General seeking permission under New York not-for-profit corporation law to enter into a long-term ground lease, as Landlord, with developer, as Tenant, for a portion of the Temple’s property.
- Represented national staffing company in negotiation of office lease for 20,500 square feet of commercial space in New Jersey.
- Represented artisanal Japanese ice cream shop in the negotiation of several leases for new locations including Boston’s Seaport and Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Publications & Presentations
- Moderator, Comparative Of Cannabis Law in Massachusetts, New York & California, New York State Bar Association (June 2022)
- Author, Governor Baker Announces MA Reopening (May 2021)
- Author, SBA Announces Registration and Application Dates for RRF (April 2021)
- Author, SBA Issues Guidance for Restaurant Revitalization Fund Program (April 2021)
- Presenter, "1st Look" at the New COVID-19 Relief Bill & Round Two of PPP Loans, MCLE (March 2021)
- Served as "Expert of the Week" on Zoning and Land Use Issues for Neptune Advisors LLC (March 2021)
- Author, Congress Appropriations Bill Expands Paycheck Protection Program (December 2020)
- Presenter, How to Navigate the Landscape of PPP Loan Forgiveness, MCLE (June 2020)
- Author, SBA Issues Revised PPP Loan Forgiveness Applications (June 2020)
- Author, House and Senate Pass Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act (June 2020)
- Author, Ending a Real Estate Partnership: 1031 Exchanges Can Play a Role¸ New England Real Estate Journal (May 2019)
- Delegation and the Destruction of American Liberties: The Affordable Care Act and the Contraception Mandate (29 TOURO L. REV. 795 (2013))