ShareholderPrint to PDF
Adam Barnosky is a shareholder of the firm and co-chairs the Hospitality Practice Group. He is a member of the firm's Commercial Real Estate, Cannabis. and Corporate Practice Groups. Adam specializes in the areas of:
- Commercial Real Estate Development, Land Use and Planning
- Alcoholic Beverage Licensing
- Commercial Leasing, with a focus on the hospitality, office, and retail sectors.
- Corporate Transactions
- Municipal and State Regulations and Government Strategies
Adam’s clients include commercial real estate owners and developers, retail and office tenants, national hotel operators, cannabis companies, and various professionals and companies within the hospitality industry, including James Beard-nominated operators, industry recognized fast-casual companies, and established multi-unit operators.
Public Appearances and Advocacy
Adam regularly represents clients before state and municipal boards, commissions, and regulatory authorities, including:
• Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission
• Cannabis Control Commission
• Massachusetts Gaming Commission
• City of Boston Licensing Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, and
• Architectural Access Board
• Zoning, Licensing and Permitting authorities in towns
and cities throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Publications and Presentations
Adam frequently presents on hospitality, commercial real estate, and cannabis industry issues and has been published, quoted, or presented with the following outlets:
• The Boston Globe
• Boston Magazine
• New England Real Estate Journal
• Boston Herald
• National Retail Tenants Association
• Massachusetts Lodging Association
• University of Pennsylvania Law Review
• MetroWest Daily News
• Performer Magazine
In 2018, Adam was appointed by Mayor Yvonne M. Spicer as the inaugural Chair of the Framingham Board of License Commissioners, which oversees and licenses business activity in the City of Framingham, including hotels, restaurants, breweries, package stores, and entertainment facilities.
Prior to joining Ruberto, Israel & Weiner, P.C., Adam worked in a boutique Boston area law firm and clerked for the Honorable Virginia M. Morgan of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Adam is the editor of The Industry, the Hospitality Practice Group’s monthly newsletter.
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- State & Federal Bar Admissions (Massachusetts)
- Member, Massachusetts Restaurant Association
- Member, Massachusetts Lodging Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
Honors and Awards:
- Recognized by Boston Magazine as a Top Lawyer (Land-Use/Zoning) in the inaugural list of the Best Lawyers in Massachusetts (2021)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Massachusetts Super Lawyers in the “Corporate” and “Zoning/Land Use” Categories: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Profiled in the Annual “Cannabis Spotlight,” New England Real Estate Journal (2017)
- Served as lead zoning and development counsel for national sports and entertainment company in development of new 14,000 sq ft facility in Boston’s Fort Point neighborhood.
- Represented real estate developer relative to commercial lease negotiations with restaurant operators in a new international five-star hotel in the City of Boston.
- Served as associate counsel for corporate developer of proposed $1B luxury resort and casino.
- Served as lead counsel for cannabis company in commercial leasing, permitting and regulatory approvals required for operation of a new retail and cultivation facilities in various locations in Massachusetts.
- Served as corporate counsel to multi-state franchise operator relative the acquisitions and disposition of numerous locations and related corporate reorganization.
- Represented national hotel operator and entertainment company in alcoholic beverages and entertainment licensing approvals for creation of new performing arts venue in Boston’s Seaport District.
- Represented commercial real estate trust in the disposition of a multi-tenanted, mixed-use building to Boston University
- Served as associate counsel for leading national clean energy company in obtaining land-use approvals for operations of a 5.8 mega-watt 213-acre solar facility in Massachusetts.
- Advised historic country club operator in compliance with the Liquor Control Act in anticipation of national golf tournament
- Represented an association of hotels and restaurants before the Town of Brookline’s Special Licensing Review Committee.
- Served as corporate, leasing, and alcoholic beverage licensing counsel to dozens new and existing hotels, restaurants, breweries in the City of Boston and throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Publications & Presentations
- Author, Proposed Massachusetts Ballot Initiative Would Increase Retail Liquor License Cap, The Industry (June 2022)
- Presenter and Co-Chair, 28th Annual Restaurant Trends Event, City Winery Boston (September 2021).
- Moderator, "Re-Opening Guidance for the Massachusetts Restaurant Industry," RIW Webinar (June 2020)
- Author, How Municipalities Can Help Restaurants Reopen, The Boston Globe (May 19, 2020)
- Speaker, “Hospitality Law Primer,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (May 2020)
- Author, Adaptive Reuse and the Modernization of the New England Shopping Mall, New England Real Estate Journal (January 2020)
- Author, 4 Key Legal Considerations When Choosing Your Restaurant’s Location, Boston Magazine (November 2019)
- Speaker, Retail Considerations for the Cannabis Industry, National Retail Tenants Association, 2019 National Conference (September 2019)
- Speaker, Hospitality Leasing Roundtable, National Retail Tenants Association, 2019 National Conference (September 2019)
- Guest, Restaurant Real Estate and Commercial Leasing, Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast (May 2019)
- Judge/Panelist, MRA 2019 ProStart Invitational, Massachusetts Restaurant Association (February 2019)
- Author, Food Halls and Micro-Tenant Aggregation, New England Real Estate Journal (January 2019)
- Speaker, Retail Considerations in the Emerging Cannabis Industry, National Retail Tenants Association, 2018 National Conference (September 2018)
- Speaker, Restaurant & Hospitality Leasing, National Retail Tenants Association, 2018 National Conference (September 2018)
- Speaker, Medical & Adult Use Cannabis in Massachusetts, MA Society of CPAs 2018 State Tax Conference (January 2018)
- Moderator, Best Management Practices for Hotel Operators, Massachusetts Lodging Association (December 2017)
- Profile, Cannabis Spotlight, New England Real Estate Journal (March 2017)
- Panelist, Cannabis and Commercial Real Estate, New England Real Estate Journal (February 2017)
- Author, Federal Proposal for Local Zoning Deregulation, New England Real Estate Journal (October 2016)
- Guest, Restaurant & Hospitality Law, Radio Entrepreneurs (July 2016)