ShareholderPrint to PDF
Adam Barnosky is a shareholder of the firm and co-leads the Hospitality Practice Group. He is a member of the firm's Commercial Real Estate Group and Cannabis Practice Group. Adam’s practice is concentrated in the areas of Zoning & Land Use, Alcoholic Beverage Licensing, Hospitality, Cannabis, Commercial Leasing, and Government Strategies.
Adam’s clients include commercial real estate developers, cannabis companies, retailers, commercial office tenants, and various professionals and companies within the hospitality industry, including national hotel brands, James Beard-nominated chefs, industry recognized fast-casual companies, and numerous premier restaurateurs included in Boston Magazine’s Annual “50 Best Restaurants” List.
Adam regularly represents clients before state and municipal boards, commissions, and regulatory authorities, including:
• Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission;
• Cannabis Control Commission;
• Massachusetts Gaming Commission;
• City of Boston Licensing Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, and
Landmark Commissions, and
• Zoning, Licensing and Permitting authorities in towns
and cities throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Adam frequently presents on hospitality, commercial real estate, and cannabis industry issues and has been published or quoted in:
• The Boston Globe;
• Boston Magazine;
• Boston Herald;
• New England Real Estate Journal;
• University of Pennsylvania Law Review;
• MetroWest Daily News; and
• Performer Magazine, among others.
In 2018, Adam was appointed by Mayor Yvonne M. Spicer as the inaugural Chair of the Framingham Board of License Commissioners, which oversees and licenses business activity in the City of Framingham, including hotels, restaurants, breweries, package stores, and entertainment facilities.
Prior to joining Ruberto, Israel & Weiner, P.C., Adam worked in a boutique Boston area law firm and clerked for the Honorable Virginia M. Morgan of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- State & Federal Bar Admissions (Massachusetts)
- Member, Massachusetts Restaurant Association
- Member, Massachusetts Lodging Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, USA500 Club
Honors and Awards:
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Massachusetts Super Lawyers in the “Corporate” and “Zoning/Land Use” Categories: 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019
- Profiled in the Annual “Cannabis Spotlight,” New England Real Estate Journal (2017)
- Served as lead zoning counsel for national sports and entertainment company in development of new 14,000 sq ft facility in Boston’s Fort Point neighborhood.
- Served as associate counsel for corporate developer of proposed $1 Billion resort/casino in Massachusetts.
- Served as lead counsel for cannabis company in obtaining zoning permits and approvals for operation of a new cannabis cultivation facility.
- Represented national hotel operator and entertainment company in alcoholic beverages and entertainment licensing approvals for creation of new performing arts venue in Boston’s Seaport District.
- Served as associate counsel for leading national clean energy company in obtaining land-use approvals for operations of a 5.8 mega-watt 213-acre solar facility in Massachusetts.
- Advised historic country club operator in compliance with the Liquor Control Act in anticipation of the 2013 U.S. Golf Amateur Championship.
- Served as lead counsel for cannabis company in negotiating host community agreements and commercial lease agreements in various locations throughout Massachusetts.
- Represented an association of hotels and restaurants before the Town of Brookline’s Special Licensing Review Committee.
- Served as corporate, leasing, and alcoholic beverage licensing counsel to dozens of new and existing hotels, restaurants, breweries in Boston and throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Author, How Municipalities Can Help Restaurants Reopen, The Boston Globe (May 19, 2020)
- Speaker, “Hospitality Law Primer,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (May 2020)
- Author, Adaptive Reuse and the Modernization of the New England Shopping Mall, New England Real Estate Journal (January 2020)
- Author, 4 Key Legal Considerations When Choosing Your Restaurant’s Location, Boston Magazine (November 2019)
- Speaker, Retail Considerations for the Cannabis Industry, National Retail Tenants Association, 2019 National Conference (September 2019)
- Speaker, Hospitality Leasing Roundtable, National Retail Tenants Association, 2019 National Conference (September 2019)
- Guest, Restaurant Real Estate and Commercial Leasing, Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast (May 2019)
- Judge/Panelist, MRA 2019 ProStart Invitational, Massachusetts Restaurant Association (February 2019)
- Author, Food Halls and Micro-Tenant Aggregation, New England Real Estate Journal (January 2019)
- Speaker, Retail Considerations in the Emerging Cannabis Industry, National Retail Tenants Association, 2018 National Conference (September 2018)
- Speaker, Restaurant & Hospitality Leasing, National Retail Tenants Association, 2018 National Conference (September 2018)
- Speaker, Medical & Adult Use Cannabis in Massachusetts, MA Society of CPAs 2018 State Tax Conference (January 2018)
- Moderator, Best Management Practices for Hotel Operators, Massachusetts Lodging Association (December 2017)
- Profile, Cannabis Spotlight, New England Real Estate Journal (March 2017)
- Panelist, Cannabis and Commercial Real Estate, New England Real Estate Journal (February 2017)
- Author, Federal Proposal for Local Zoning Deregulation, New England Real Estate Journal (October 2016)
- Guest, Restaurant & Hospitality Law, Radio Entrepreneurs (July 2016)