Sarah J. Melia
AssociatePrint to PDF
Sarah Melia is an Associate in the firm’s Trusts and Estates practice group. Sarah’s practice focuses on all aspects of planning for the transfer of wealth, and planning to minimize estate and gift taxes.
Sarah has experience preparing fundamental documents to implement her clients’ wishes for the disposition of assets and the wellbeing of themselves and their loved ones, including wills and revocable trusts, powers of attorney and health care proxies. She also prepares documents for sophisticated gift tax and wealth transfer planning such as irrevocable life insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, generation skipping trusts and charitable trusts. Sarah handles all aspects of probate administration and trust administration, and helps clients navigate through difficult times from the moment of a death through the complete disposition of assets.
She also assists clients in pre-marital planning with prenuptial agreements, and in difficult matters of separation, helping newly separated clients plan for their financial future and that of their family. Sarah assists clients in planning for their business, including advising as to end of life provisions and funding buy-sell agreements between business owners. Sarah also helps guide clients through the disposition and succession plan of a business, either within or outside of the family.
Associations & Organizations:
- Hingham Historic Society, Board of Directors, 2021 - present.
- Governance Committee Member, 2019 - present.
- Select Board Appointee to the Hingham Naming Bylaw Committee, 2020 - present.
- Hingham Sports Partnership, Board of Directors, 2019 - present.
- Assistant Moderator, Hingham Town Meeting, 2019.
- Foster School Talent Show Committee, 2017 - present.
- Elected member of the Hingham Recreation Commission, 2014 - 2019.
- Treasurer, Hingham Nursery School Board of Directors, 2011 - 2015.
- Trusts & Estates Counsel with Drohan, Tocchio & Morgan, Hingham, MA, 2007 - 2021.
- Advanced Markets Counsel, John Hancock, Boston, MA, 2005 - 2007.
- Private Client Associate, K&L Gates, Boston, MA, 2003 - 2005.