Ari Stern is a nationally recognized franchise attorney and shareholder in RIW’s Franchise Law Practice, a team of seasoned professionals that offer key corporate, transactional, and dispute resolution services to franchisors, master franchisees, franchisees (multi-unit and single unit), and franchisee associations. He is also a shareholder in the firm’s Litigation Department and Hospitality Practice Group.
Acting as a trusted advisor, Ari utilizes a pragmatic, interest-based approach to assist companies and executives in high-stakes commercial and employment disputes. Ari’s work in litigation, arbitration, and mediation often involves claims of unfair and deceptive acts and practices, fraudulent inducement, negligent misrepresentation, breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and violations of franchise law. Clients also retain Ari to negotiate and draft agreements, perform internal investigations, and advise on risk management.
Ari was previously associated with Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC (“Mintz”), and immediately prior to joining RIW was a Partner at O’Hagan Meyer, PLLC. Additionally, Ari has experience litigating cases as a Special Assistant District Attorney in the Roxbury section of Boston, and also previously served as General Counsel to a start-up affiliated with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Ari is admitted to practice in Massachusetts and New York, as well as before the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan, and the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. He has also been admitted pro hac vice to certain state and federal courts.
Associations & Organizations
- American Bar Association – Forum on Franchising
- International Franchise Association
- Boston Bar Association
- USA 500 Clubs
- (Former Member) Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination Committee responsible for proposing regulations with regard to sexual harassment in the workplace.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Franchise Law – Recognized since 2021.
- Franchise Times, Legal Eagle – 2022, 2021.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Franchise & Dealership – 2021.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Stars – Franchise & Dealership – 2018, 2017.
- American Bar Association – Forum on Franchising – Chair’s Award for Substantial Written Work or Presentation – 2017.